Sunday, September 30, 2012

synergy

Daivik came to me with a book in his hand and insisted that I read him the story. The thing is the text was in German and I could not comprehend it entirely. But he, for some reason, insisted on that story. We assessed the situation and made an analysis of our strengths and limitations. Our conclusion was : I could read the words better than him and he could understand their meaning way better than me. So we decided that I read the sentences first, he tells me their meaning and then I tell him the story !

I started reading and he started telling me the meaning of the words. And so it went on, one painful sentence after another. Daivik was having difficulty comprehending my terrible pronunciation of words. We braved on, and with the pictures to help us along, figured out that the bear and the mouse were planning a surprise birthday party for their friend, the goose.They  make a list of things they need, which runs like a) invite friends, b) bake a cake, c) get a present, d) decorate with balloons. But they have only one day to get it all done...the rest of the story is about how they do it.

At the end of it, Daivik was a darling. He completely ignored  his own contribution to the process, and told me with great sincerity (?) that it was a nice story and I did a good job of reading it to him ! He then went to his rack and came back with a new picture book, with an Italian text !

2 comments: