Monday, June 3, 2013

bribe

The teacher was first showing them how to fall. Bend the knees, fall forward and keep the arms on the side. Then he was making them fall down deliberately. Finally he let them to practice the skating. They kept falling down anyway, sometimes correctly, sometimes not. Either way, it was not a pleasant experience.
There were tears and franatic cries, "Mama!". Daivik kept falling down too and not completely comfortable with the situation.

After the class was over, he saw me and came running, with the skates on, and without falling down. "Appa, I kept falling down", he said, teary eyed.  "The teacher asked us to fall down all the time" he said and declared "I don't like the teacher, I don't want to skate". "But you did not fall down now", I said, to encourage him. This only made it worse. "I don't like the teacher, I don't want to skate", he cried again. The teacher was approaching us with a big smile. Daivik was facing me and did not see him coming. He started repeating his mantra "I was falling so many times, I don't like the teacher, I don't want to skate". The teacher, unaware of his current status with Daivik, patted him on the back, said "Daivik, you did very well", gave him some chocolates and walked away. It took about 3 seconds to happen. Daivik could not believe his eyes.  A heavily rationed item lands on its own accord, right into his palm. He is thrilled. Somehow, miraculously, the tears metamorph into a broad smile. "Appa", he declares, "I love my teacher, I love skating".

No comments:

Post a Comment