Sunday, July 14, 2013

An anniversary (of sorts)

It started off as a mild form of amusement, probably even a little escape. It evolved slightly as a way to share little ‘Daivik moments’ with friends and family (“Daivik moments”, as defined by the “native states” of Daivik, the states that vanish when you pick up the camera to capture them!).  It has now reached its current avatar of this little blog.

 It is unbelievable and almost incredible that it has sustained for a full year now, at a rate of slightly more than one post every week – an incredibly brisk pace by my admittedly lazy standards. Most amazingly, never once did I felt forced to do it, and never once did I have to dig into reserves of memory to hunt for stories. They have come, so to speak, of themselves. Most of them have been real time, some of them a bit lagged.

When I started, I wondered if it was a good thing to do, to put up aspects of his life in the open. There were issues that I had to consider, how will he react when he grows up? (He, of course, is now aware of the blog. “Are you writing about me?”, he once asked when he saw me at the computer. He had had a little bruise at the kindergarten that day. He stretched out his finger, pointed at the bruise and said “Can you tell them that I cut my finger today”). Am I boring people with needless details? How much is too much? But overtime, the responses have been very encouraging and put these apprehensions to rest.  The blog is becoming a sort of, as a friend put it, “diary”. Another friend told me he could “chart the trajectory of Daivik’s growth”. On another note, it has been an amazing discovery that these stories, despite their distinct ‘Daivikness’, have a certain universality about them.

The blog has had some very interesting side-effects too. It has let me reconnect with old friends, it has helped me make new ones, it has given me interesting insights into the personality of kids, it has given me access to new tips on parenting, it has had people asking for updates, it has even served as a conversation starter at parties. The whole process has been utterly charming and I take this opportunity to thank all of you for your encouragement and assuring responses.

Now, as an anniversary special for the blog, here is a little quiz to all the enthusiastic readers :) Please take a moment to respond by email / facebook / comments below. This will not take a long time :)

1) What is your favorite ‘Daivik moment’ ?
2) What is your least favorite thing about the blog?
      3) Anything else (for example, how will you do it differently?)

And, Oh, did I already mention that we like your feedback?

p.s : I’m using “Daivik” as a sort of generic name. Of course, it includes his little sister as well!

p.p.s : I take the liberty to take this liberty until I can no longer take it J

No comments:

Post a Comment