Sunday, February 17, 2013

good boy

There is still about 200 meters to reach home. I'm balancing a bicycle with a flat tyre on one hand and a shopping bag on the other. Daivik is running ahead of me in a zig-zag random manner but in the general direction of home. Walking towards us is an elderly couple, arms locked, taking slow measured steps. About a hundred meters ahead is a small - usually empty - road crossing, which Daivik is fast approaching. The lady points at the road and the little boy to her husband. A wild boy, unleashed, rushing headlong into the bad roads, oh my God, perhaps it is too much for her. They stop on their tracks. The lady looks at me, looks at Daivik and looks at the road. She clenches her fingers and leans forward to get a better look at what-happens-next. I'm reasonably sure that Daivik will stop at the crossing. But then who can ever predict how anybody - Daivik, or non-Daivik - will behave at a given moment ?

Daivik, oblivious to this intense scrutiny rushes towards the road crossing, showing no signs of even noticing it. I contemplate calling him when he reaches the edge of the pavement. One more step, he is on the road. This might have been a good moment to check the pulse of the lady ! Suddenly, like a truck power braking at 120 kmph, Daivik grinds to an abrupt halt. The couple relax and breathe  as Daivik turns back to look at me. I tell him to wait there for me and he begins his impatient 'wait', hands on hips and legs shuffling laterally.

By now I cross the couple. They smile, the gentleman nods and says, "Good boy".

Indeed :) 

1 comment: