Thursday, July 12, 2012

funny

Several months ago I mentioned the word 'funny' during the course of a conversation. Daivik, ever alert for new words, promptly asked "what does funny mean". 
I was a little hesitant to give him my impression of such a subjective word, instead we decided to figure out the meaning together. This evolved into a little game.
Every once in a while, he would point to something - a passing car, agrowing plant, the occasional blue sky - and ask "is this funny ?".
Few weeks back when we were in a shop, he burst out laughing and told me "appa, look, this is so funny". The definitiveness of the statement caught me and I turned to look at the object. It was a funny (!) looking balloon in the shape of a mouse. I asked him why he thought it was funny. He said it is a balloon (something he could identify) but shaped like a mouse (something wierd) and "made me laugh". Pretty close, I would say, to how I would have defined it.

Of course, I had to buy that baloon !

1 comment: